This weekend's sewing project was in honor of my little nephew.
When he was first born I started calling him little bird, because when his mother was trying to catch some winks, and I was holding him he would peck at me and open his mouth like a little bird. His little eyes staring at me as if to say, "Are you going to feed me or what?"
Since then he is walking and playing and fast becoming a little person.
And I've yet to sew him a toy. (or any toy to be honest)
But I was organizing the other day and came across a wool sweater that my husband shrunk a while ago by accident and I thought it would make a great toy.
So I thought I would make a bird for my little bird. Or really an owl. Here is what I did:
1. I sketched out an owl on the sweater and cut it out. (Look online for tons of different ideas)
2. I had different colored felt material on hand and after cutting out circles for both the eyes and the beak, I stitched them on to the face.
3. Then I cut two wings out of felt in an oval shape that would be flush on the side seams of the bird.
4. I sewed the wings on and then sewed the bird together.
5. I finished the project by adding the stuffing into the toy and stiched close the small opening (for the stuffing)
I cannot tell you how excited I am that I
didn't screw up the project finished my first toy. And I hope my nephew loves it.
And that it doesn't fall apart. Either way I'm good.